Why do I link?

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Spreading the Good

I'm looking at my credenza and I'm thinking about it; it's a very nice piece of furniture. My family and I are moving into a new home at the end of the month, and the credenza will take up just a bit too much space in the new place for me to want to keep it. Plus, I love to give. On a weekly basis, it seems, I am going through our house in search of things to put into a bag to bring to the local donation stores (for example, the WIN store in Victoria, BC, Canada).

I like to give because it makes me feel good to know that my space will be bigger because things are not overcrowding it. It's kind of a freedom thing, I suppose. And, like other people who give, it gives me a sense of peace knowing that other peoples' needs and wishes are being fulfilled when they receive my items. All in all, I'm giving things to people for my own satisfaction. In a way, I am selfish (if you look at it like that).

Back to the credenza. I have offered the beautiful 50's style credenza to a neighbor friend of mine because I know he will appreciate it more than I do, and I really do want the piece to go to a good home. It's got me thinking about the idea of 'spreading the good.'

I have some very generous people in my life, good friends who want to share their good with me. I feel fortunate for this, and it's making me think about how the energy of the world may be shifting ever-so-slightly in a positive direction when sharing occurs.

Here's an example: a friend of mine called me over to her house about a month ago and she laid out a gigantic amount of very nice clothing items. She said "pick whatever and as much as you want!" So, I gleefully chose the clothes I thought would look nice on me, and like a small child with a new toy I scampered home with my bag full of new-to-me clothing.

It was a delightful experience.

The same thing happened with a different friend this week. She called me to her house and she was about to donate some of her clothes, but she thought I might like some of them. So, I chose items I thought would fit, and I brought some with me that I thought a few of my friends would like.

When I got home, I tried on all of the clothes and I realized that some didn't fit quite the way I had hoped, so I put some of those clothes into a bag for donation. I thought of people in my life who might fit the clothing better than I had fit them, and some of the clothes went into different give-away piles.

I felt so good to be given such a variety of clothing. I gave some away, allowing other people to feel good for their new clothing. The Good was officially spread. 


I think we can consciously spread good, or do it without being aware of it. I think a lot of people aren't aware that they're not spreading good at all; they're spreading bad. They're spreading things through their communication, body language, and actions, that are not doing anything good for the people around them.

With gratitude, I say that I am surrounded mostly by good-spreaders. I think good-spreading has a lot to do with letting go of fear, and knowing that you will never really "go without" if you have a good heart and keep spreading the good. Warning: you may end up with TOO MUCH stuff if you keep spreading the good...So, just make sure you have places to give your things so you don't have to be a hoarder.

If you like these posts, and want to know when they're up, please feel free to 'like' my facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments :)